This part of the project BookOfProofs is dedicated to the history of mathematics and the evolvement of mathematical concepts worldwide over the centuries. The part is structured chronologically. It is divided into sections, beginning with the Prehistory, the Ancient World, Middle Ages, and the centuries from the 10th to the 21st Century.
This structure follows the western calendar, however, it does not mean that only deals with the history of occidental mathematics. The western calendar only gives one possible chronological structure, and any calendar would serve equally well for this purpose.
You will find below events with relevance to the development of mathematics worldwide, ordered chronologically, as well as fact sheets about the life of mathematicians, physicists, astronomers, also ordered chronologically by their birthday.
By the way: Did you know that today is the
- 245th birthday of Jean Baptiste Biot,
- 150th birthday of Friederich Pius Philipp Furtwängler,
- 144th birthday of Teiji Takagi,
- 116th birthday of Isaac Jacob Schoenberg,
- 110th birthday of Eduard L Stiefel,
- 68th birthday of Michael Hartley Freedman?
| | created: 2016-08-01 11:01:23 | modified: 2017-12-05 21:05:56 | by: bookofproofs