This part of the project BookOfProofs is dedicated to the history of mathematics and the evolvement of mathematical concepts worldwide over the centuries. The part is structured chronologically. It is divided into sections, beginning with the Prehistory, the Ancient World, Middle Ages, and the centuries from the 10th to the 21st Century.
This structure follows the western calendar, however, it does not mean that only deals with the history of occidental mathematics. The western calendar only gives one possible chronological structure, and any calendar would serve equally well for this purpose.
You will find below events with relevance to the development of mathematics worldwide, ordered chronologically, as well as fact sheets about the life of mathematicians, physicists, astronomers, also ordered chronologically by their birthday.
By the way: Did you know that today is the
- 186th birthday of Rudolf Friedrich Alfred Clebsch,
- 168th birthday of Emanuel Czuber,
- 154th birthday of Hector Munro Macdonald,
- 142th birthday of William Gentle,
- 140th birthday of Guido Fubini,
- 111th birthday of Aleksandr Gennadievich Kurosh,
- 108th birthday of Garrett Birkhoff,
- 107th birthday of Leonid Vitalyevich Kantorovich,
- 102th birthday of Graham Higman?
| | Contributors: bookofproofs